Providing Health and business training for women
In response to the needs the community identified to us ten years ago we have undertaken a number of things that have made a difference in a small way. Unfortunately the community really needs a large amount of government expenditure and that is unlikely to happen in the short-term. Our greatest success has been with the school which is making a great difference to many families.
- A well was dug and is now providing clean water to many.
- Business and skills training have been given to several groups of women who have been provided with loans to set up or grow their businesses.
- Mosquito nets were obtained for every family in the community.
- We have set up a sport’s association and are supporting two adult football teams and a boxing club. We are also supporting a youth football team, volley ball and basket ball.
- Two groups of women have so far received health training and more are planned. This included amongst other things, child care, family planning and AIDS prevention.
- Adult education classes provide basic literacy skills in English and Swahili. This has proved very successful.
- We have opened a small public library within the school which is used by four other schools.
- A clinic opened in June 2016 to provide basic healthcare and health checks. This clinic is for our children and their families and the local community.